Here are some guidelines that can help those who are doing reviews of software.
- Your name & level of expertise.
- Name of product, publisher and brief description of what kind of software this is: utility, game, word processor; what does this program do?
- Ease of installation, how much RAM does it require (this info is normally on the box or the first couple of pages of the manual), which System software is needed? How much space does it take up on your hard drive? Are there different levels of installation? (e.g. Microsoft Excel has a minimum install, a standard install and an expert or full-featured installyou choose the one that meets your needs the best.) Also, some software has an Uninstall as well.
- How is the manual done? Is it a book or on disk? (if on disk, how much space does it take up on your hard drive?) Is it easy to look up questions you may have? Does it explain how to get started with the program, what the features are and how to use them with clarity? Are there pictures in the manual? Were any of the explanations confusing?
- Did you find the program easy to use? What parts of it do you like the best? What parts don÷t you like? Are there any features you feel you would never need? Does it seem to work slowly or adequately or quickly? Did you find using it easy to understand or more trouble than it was worth?
- Did you have to call their technical support phone number at all? Is it an 800 number or is it a long distance call? If you called them, how did they treat you? Did they answer your questions or were they unable to help you? Were they courteous?
- What kind of user do you think would get the most out of this program? Is this a program for children or teens or adults or a combination? Is this a program for accomplishing a task or is it a fun game to play? Would you go out and buy it if someone told you what you have told us?
- Would you be willing to demo this program at a meeting?
- Please watch the jargon. It is all right to use jargon, but keep in mind that there are new members and beginners who do not know what everything means. If you use abbreviations or jargon, then the first time it is mention, please explain it in parenthesis. Our newer members will be able to learn and the experienced members will not mind.
Thanks for your work!
Back to the MacUserGroup Home Page